Who can file for bankruptcy?
Any debtor can file for bankruptcy. However, only those who meet certain requirements may be qualified to file for Chapter 7, or liquidation bankruptcy. Circumstances that may prevent you from attaining Chapter 7 eligibility include the following:
- You failed the means test
- You received a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge within the past 8 years
- You received a Chapter 13 bankruptcy discharge within the past 6 years
- You have had a previous bankruptcy attempt dismissed within the past 180 days
- You have cheated your creditors
If you cannot file Chapter 7, then you may still file for Chapter 13, or reorganization bankruptcy.
If you would like to determine whether or not you can file for bankruptcy, contact Birmingham bankruptcy lawyer Paula Greenway today at (205) 324-4000.